UNDERSTANDING SEO: A Quick Study on Search Engine Optimization for Business
The relevance of search engine optimization (SEO) for online marketing and small business only strengthens as time goes by. Hardly is there a business today, big or small, that does not see the potential it possesses. It doesn’t only help a business get known, but it also helps it acquire more clients.
Although, before business owners can fully enjoy the benefits of SEO, you must first learn how a search engine works or behaves. Only by doing so can you, as a business owner, make the best possible solutions towards creating a website worthy of a search engine optimization campaign.
Search engines are considered to be the equivalent of librarians in the world wide web. They connect people to information or to people with that particular information they need at that given time. This is the easy part. There is a more complex side to that role. Search engines account not only for every web page or website that is put up in the web, but as well as every word therein. It does not stop there, they have to continuously monitor their charges for any changes, like any good librarian would. Indexing everything and storing every piece of data on your website is part of a search engine’s job description. Ferreting out which get the most audience share than the rest, or which ones are credible with good links – these are also part of a search engine’s task.
It is for that very reason that before a business owner can hope for a successful SEO campaign, you must first make sure that you understand the nuances of this amazing online marketing strategy. Let’s start with some terminologies you need to understand before jumping on the SEO wagon. Here are some:
1. Search Engine Optimization – According to webopedia.com, search engine optimization is a methodology of strategies, techniques and tactics used to increase the amount of visitors to a website by obtaining a high-ranking placement in the search results. It is a continuous practice of developing a website in such a way that search engines notice it and improve the rank, all to get more traffic for your site.
2. Search engine – As those two words, search engines are programs for making searches in the internet. Connecting people and information from the web is the main goal of search engines. Today, their roles have become more complex as the amount of information, the number of websites containing these information continuously grow. As internet usage diversifies leading people to develop more trends and ways to make use of the internet, the role of search engines will only keep redefining itself.
In SEO, search engines are like governing bodies that websites or webpages need to impress in order to be deemed worthy of being seen by the people. Business owners must make their websites not only compelling for visitors but tailor it to the specific standard that search engines recognize.
3. Algorithms – Algorithms are the languages of search engines, the recipe search engines use to convert information into helpful search results. Technically speaking, it is a procedure or formula that is applied to solve a problem.
In SEO, algorithms are what search engines use in order to figure out what best websites or webpages to include in search results when a user looks for a particular information. They also determine the order of these sites and pages on the search results.
4. Keywords – Keywords are identifiers that link information together into a pool of alike ideas that would show on search results. Words are everything to search engines, since they are after all the keeper of words in the internet. Search engines keep tabs on all the words used on every web page or website.
Keywords are important in SEO because they are hidden within the body of websites, especially of businesses, in the hope that they will get included in search results. Not only that, they are integral in the making of content that business owners are putting up in their websites to show their expertise in their fields and to help the site’s visitors understand certain factors connected to the business.
5. Content – The holy grail of SEO and online marketing, content are the texts, images, audio, or video materials that businesses turn up through their websites that aim to attract visitors to turn them into customers. Content is information that showcase the business owner’s knowledge and expertise in his field, which will engage consumers to trust the business. Sharing knowledge and expertise make any business owner a wise and kind leader in the eyes of the public.
6. Online Marketing – Online marketing is the new age strategy of bringing the business into the web by using the whatever tools the digital world come up with to aid with the fluid connection between consumers and producers. Using the internet to communicate to the buying public in order to get them to know about your business and your product.
7. User Experience – How much did a user find your website? The user perception of what it is like to take a visit on your website is probably as important as having a website in the first place. User experience is not only an element in online marketing but one of its end goals as well – to give a good and lasting experience to any user. It is also therefore a very valuable term in search engine optimization.
8. Ranking – The rank of a webpage or website in a search result speaks of how much stock the search engines put in the trustworthiness of such website. When the ranks is high, meaning that it appears in the primary pages of the search results, it shows that the search engine acknowledges its credibility and recommends it to the user for his particular search.
Knowing about the most basic and common terminologies that are essential in search engine optimization is a good start towards understanding what search engine optimization can do for your business.
To be continued…
Latest posts by Angela Castañares (see all)
- 4 Points on Relearning Leadership this 2016 - February 5, 2016
- Top 10 Online Tools for Virtual Assistants - October 21, 2015
- UNDERSTANDING SEO: A Quick Study on Search Engine Optimization for Business (Part III) - August 24, 2015